Adtran Networks SE (formerly ADVA Optical Networking SE) together with its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively "Adtran Networks" or “we”) is committed to protecting your privacy and providing you with the best experience when visiting or using our websites, our facilities, or our products and services ("Solution/s"). Adtran Networks is also committed to complying with all applicable data privacy laws, including but not limited to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
This Privacy Statement applies to all Adtran Networks websites, Solutions, or communication with Adtran Networks that link to or refer to this Statement. It describes how we handle personal information, the choices available to you regarding data collection, use, and access, and how you can update and correct your personal information. Of course, additional information on personal information practices may be provided in additional or supplementary privacy statements or notices provided prior to or at the time of data collection.
Responsible for Processing Personal Information
When your employer, your company (“Company”) or you communicate with Adtran Networks, purchase or use our Solutions, provide products or services to us, visit our website, facilities, trade shows or customer events, the party responsible for processing your data is:
Adtran Networks SE
Phone: +49 (0) 89 89 06 65 0
Facsimile: +49 (0) 89 89 06 65 199
You can contact the Data Protection Officer of Adtran Networks by mail at the above address (attn: Data Protection Officer), phone or by email as stated above
Processing as Joint Controller
Parts of the data processing we are performing jointly together with
ADTRAN Holdings Inc.
Corporation Trust Center
1209 Orange Street
Wilmington, Delaware 19801
and its affiliates (collectively as Adtran). Joint processing is taking place for the processing of supplier, customer and lead contact data as well as for managing job applications. Also for the data processing as joint controllers, we keep your personal data confidential and ensure that you may exercise your rights free of charge by writing an email to dataprotection(at)adva.com as single point of contact. For more information, please see below “What rights do you have?”
Adtran Networks collects data about you, including personal information, when Adtran Networks offers, manufactures, sells, provides or delivers, maintains and services its Solutions, or when your Company provides products or services to us. In general this is information about your Company, because Adtran Networks’s Solutions are not designed for consumers or individuals. Adtran Networks also collects data, including personal information, when you visit or use our websites or facilities, and when you communicate or interact with us.
"Personal information" is any information that can be used to identify an individual, and may include names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, login information (account numbers, passwords), marketing preferences, social media account information, payment information, or information in the context of applying for an employment position at Adtran Networks. Adtran Networks collects personal information mainly directly, but sometimes also from trusted third-party sources and engages third parties to collect personal information to assist us.
Adtran Networks collects personal information for several reasons, such as:
- Marketing, offering, manufacturing, selling, processing orders, paying, providing or delivering a Solution.
- Providing maintenance or specific support services for, or in the context of, a Solution.
- Communicating with you or to provide you with marketing information, e.g., email newsletters or access to manuals or other technical information.
- Enabling use of certain features of a Solution.
- Providing training for a Solution and administering training certifications.
- Personalizing and improving your experience when using an Adtran website or portal.
- Purchasing or receiving your or your Company’s products or services.
- Managing job applications.
- Processing of visits of Adtran facilities, trade shows, customer events, or of shareholder or analyst meetings or calls.
Adtran Networks may combine the information we collect from you over time with information obtained from other trusted third-party sources. This helps us improve its overall accuracy and completeness, and also helps us to improve interactions with you.
If you choose to provide Adtran Networks with a third party's personal information, in particular contact information of end-customers of our Solutions, you represent that you have the third party's permission to do so. Third parties may unsubscribe from any future communication following the link provided in the initial message or by contacting: Data protection.
Use of Personal InformationAdtran Networks uses all personal information solely for the purposes of operating our business; improving and customizing our Solutions, websites and interactions with you; sending marketing and other communications related to our business and Solutions; processing job applications and hiring employees and contractors; processing shareholder or analysts requests, meetings or calls; general shareholder meetings; and other legitimate purposes permitted by applicable law. Some of the ways we may use personal information include:
- Marketing, offering, manufacturing, selling, providing or delivering a Solution to you or your Company.
- Providing maintenance or specific support services for a Solution.
- Communicating with you or providing you marketing information, e.g., email newsletters or access to manuals or other technical information.
- Using certain features of a Solution.
- Providing training for a Solution and administering training certifications.
- Personalizing and improving your experience when using an Adtran Networks website or portal.
- Purchasing or receiving your or your Company’s products or services.
- Managing job applications.
- Processing visits of our facilities, trade shows, customer events, shareholder or analyst meetings or calls.
- Analyzing, supporting and improving our Solutions and your online experience.
Thus, Adtran Networks uses collected data and any personal information either for performance of contractual obligations (Art. 6 Paragraph 1 Point b GDPR), for the fulfilment of legal obligations (Art. 6 Paragraph 1 Point c GDPR), through balancing of legitimate interests (Art. 6 Paragraph 1 Point f GDPR), or based on your consent (Art. 6 Paragraph 1 Point a GDPR).
Access to Personal InformationAdtran Networks appreciates your support in keeping data and personal information accurate and up to date. We provide a number of options to access, correct, suppress or delete personal information:
- You can contact your or your Customer’s contact at Adtran Networks, or alternatively, if you don’t have a contact at Adtran Networks, you can contact: Data protection.
- In case Adtran Networks may act or be considered as a data controller, you can exercise your rights of access and request corrections, suppression, or deactivations under applicable data protection laws directly with Adtran Networks as described in the specific Solution documentation by contacting your or your Customer’s contact at Adtran Networks, or alternatively, if you don’t have a contact at Adtran Networks: Data protection.
- If you need additional assistance or help with accessing, correcting, suppressing, or deleting your personal information, please feel free to contact your or your Customer’s contact at Adtran Networks, or alternatively, if you don’t have any contact at Adtran Networks, you can contact: Data protection.
Adtran Networks makes every effort to honor reasonable requests to access, delete, update, suppress, or correct personal data within 30 days or, if we are unable to honor the request, to provide you with an explanation during that time.
Selecting Communication Preferences
Adtran Networks offers you a variety of information related to our Solutions and our business. You can manage your communication preferences through the following methods:
- Follow instructions included in each promotional email from us to unsubscribe from that particular mailing.
- Send a message through email to your or your Customer’s contact at Adtran Networks, or alternatively, to the contact stated above. Please, be sure to include your name, email address, and specific, relevant information about the material you no longer wish to receive.
These choices do not apply to service notifications or other required communications that are considered part of certain Solutions, e.g., software update information, which you or your Company may receive, unless you cancel the Solution in accordance with its terms and conditions.
With your permission, we may also share your personal information with Adtran Networks business partners or vendors, so they may send you information about products or services that may be of interest to you. To opt-out of this sharing with third parties for marketing purposes, please contact Data protection.
By using Adtran Networks’s Solutions, websites, or otherwise providing personal information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues.
Sharing Personal Information
Adtran Networks may share your personal information within the Adtran Networks group or with trusted third parties for the purposes of operating our business; improving and customizing our Solutions, websites and our interactions with you; sending marketing and other communications related to our business and Solutions; processing job applications and hiring employees and contractors; processing shareholder or analyst requests, meetings or calls; general shareholder meetings; and other legitimate purposes permitted by applicable law.
We may share personal information in the following ways:
- Within the worldwide subsidiaries and affiliates of the Adtran Networks group.
- With trusted service providers, trusted business partners or trusted contractors to market, offer, manufacture, sell, provide or deliver a Solution to you or your Company, e.g., assisting with marketing and pre-sales-related efforts, manufacturing, the processing of orders, financial transactions, delivering, providing post-sales, maintenance and customer service support, hosting websites, processing visits, seminars, shareholders or analyst requests, meetings and calls, trade shows or other customer events.
- In response to a request for information by a competent authority if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or is otherwise required by law, regulation or legal process.
- With law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties as necessary to comply with legal processes.
Security of Your Personal Information
Adtran Networks protects any data, including any personal information entrusted to Adtran Networks, and treats it securely in accordance with the law and this Privacy Statement. Adtran Networks implements physical, administrative, and technical safeguards designed to protect any data and personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Adtran Networks also contractually requires that Adtran Networks’s trusted service providers, trusted business partners or trusted contractors protect such information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure. Email communication as well as the internet, however, cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information shared with us.
Adtran Networks will retain any data and any personal information as needed to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. Adtran Networks will delete personal information periodically, unless Adtran Networks needs the data and the personal information in order to comply with our business requirements, legal obligations, resolve disputes, protect our assets, and enforce our agreements.
Cookies and Other Web Technologies
Linked Content or Websites
We may provide links to other third-party websites and services that are outside Adtran Networks’s control and not covered by this Privacy Statement. Adtran Networks strongly encourages you to review the privacy statements posted on those websites (and all websites) you visit.
Forums or Chat Rooms
If you participate in a discussion forum, local communities or chat room operated by Adtran Networks, you should be aware that the information you provide there (i.e. your public profile) will be made broadly available to others, and could be used to contact you, send you unsolicited messages, or for other purposes outside Adtran Networks’s control. Also, please recognize that individual forums and chat rooms may have additional rules and conditions. Adtran Networks is not responsible for the personal information or any other information you choose to submit in these forums. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at: Data protection. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
Consumer’s and Children's Privacy
Adtran Networks does not knowingly collect personal information from consumers and, of course, not from children. If you believe that we may have collected personal information from children, someone under the applicable legal age of from a consumer who is not acting for an on behalf of a Company, please contact us according to the section Responsible for Processing Personal Information and Adtran Networks will take appropriate measures to investigate and address the issue promptly.
Consent to Transfer, Processing and Storage Personal Information
The Adtran Networks group is a global organization. We may transfer data and any personal information to any Adtran Networks subsidiary or affiliated entity worldwide, or to trusted third parties, trusted business partners or trusted contractors as described above that are located in various countries around the world. When communicating with Adtran Networks, doing business with Adtran Networks, using our Solutions or when using our websites, you consent to transfer, process, and store such information outside of your country of residence where data protection standards may be different.
Contact Adtran Networks
Should you have questions or comments related to this Privacy Statement, personal information, or any other concerns you may have regarding privacy at Adtran Networks, please contact us as stated in the section Responsible for Processing Personal Information.
What rights do you have?
You have certain rights under GDPR including the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you, if you request it from us in writing:
- Right to correct: if personal information is inaccurate or incomplete you have the right to have this rectified.
- Right to erasure (the right “to be forgotten”): this enables you to request the deletion or removal of your personal information where there is no compelling reason for us to keep using it. This is not a general right to erasure; there are exceptions. For example, we have the right to continue using your personal information if such use is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
- Right to restrict our use of your information: the right to suspend the usage of your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it. Please, note that this right is limited in certain situations: when we are processing your personal information that we collected from you with your consent you can only request restriction on the basis of: (a) inaccuracy of data; (b) where our processing is unlawful and you don’t want your personal information erased; (c) if you need it for a legal claim; or (d) if we no longer need to use the data for the purposes for which we hold it. When processing is restricted, we can still store your information, but may not use it further. We keep lists of people who have asked for restriction of the use of their personal information to make sure the restriction is respected in future.
- Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer (where technically feasible) your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, for your own purposes across different services.
- Right to object: the right to object to our use of your personal information including where we use it for our legitimate interests, direct marketing.
- Right to be informed: you have the right to be provided with clear, transparent and easily understandable information about how we use your personal information.
- Right to withdraw consent: if you have given your consent to anything we do with your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time (although if you do so, it does not mean that anything we have done with your personal information with your consent up to that point is unlawful).
The exercise of these rights is free of charge, however you are required to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification. We will use reasonable efforts consistent with our legal duties to provide, correct or delete personal information about you from our files.
When we receive formal written complaints, we will contact the person who made the complaint to follow up. We work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints that we cannot resolve directly.
If you are not satisfied with the way any complaint you make in relation to your personal information has been handled by us then you may refer your complaint to the relevant data protection supervisory authority.
Where can you lodge a complaint?
You have the right to raise a complaint with our Data Protection Officer (for contact details see below) or with any supervisory authority of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement. Or you can contact Adtran Networks’s lead data protection authority:
Bayerisches Landesamt für Datenschutzaufsicht
Promenade 27 (Schloss)
Phone: +49 (0) 981 53 1300
Facsimile: +49 (0) 981 53 98 1300
Updates to this Adtran Networks Privacy Statement
Adtran Networks will update this Privacy Statement from time to time. If we do so, we will post the revised version here, with an updated revision date. Please, visit these pages periodically to be aware of and review any such revisions. By continuing to communicate with Adtran Networks or use Adtran Networks’s website after such revisions are in effect, you accept and agree to the revisions and to abide by them.
The Privacy Statement was revised and posted as of February 9, 2023.